If you are interested in higher security, reliability, and the ease of controlling parts of your security system from your smartphone, a cellular communicator may be the right solution for you.
Secur-Tek, Inc. encourages our customers to use a dedicated cell communicator for the security system to communicate with the monitoring service. With the addition of a cell communicator to your Vista or First Alert Security system, you gain the capability to remotely connect with your security system. The Total Connect App allows you to remotely arm or disarm your alarm system and receive event notifications using your smartphone or I-pad.
Cell phone technology keeps advancing – you may have seen the ads talking about 5G phones and networks. With this latest update, wireless carriers are discontinuing support of 3G devices in 2022.
- AT&T started the sunset of their 3G cellular network beginning on March 22, 2022, they are no longer operating.
- Verizon has announced its 3G network will be upgraded by the end of 2022.
How does this affect Secur-Tek customers?
All 3G cellular communicators will need to be replaced. Secur-Tek has been working with our existing customers to update their cell communicator from 3G to LTE technology since early 2020. All our cellular customers requiring the upgrade were mailed notifications. Additionally, when a customer calls in for service, Secur-Tek staff review the customer’s security features and recommend the communication upgrade be completed at the time of service.
Not sure if you have a 3G cellular communicator? Call our office at 919-387-1800. We can provide further information, and if needed, schedule this system upgrade.
Frequently asked questions about cellular communicators:
What is a cellular communicator?
A Cellular communicator is the device that contacts the central station monitoring service for security alarms, fire, and medical alerts. It functions much like a cell phone that is specifically dedicated to your security system by communicating via cellular network data channels. In essence, the cellular communicator installed on the Control Panel of your alarm system acts as a connection to the “outside world”. Cellular communicators are dedicated solely to the security system, so they are not shared with any other service.
What is the difference between a Wireless and Cellular Security System?
When you investigate purchasing or activating monitoring for a security system, you will hear the terms wireless and cellular used. So, what is the difference?
- Wireless refers to the wireless connection between the security system sensors and the control panel. Instead of wires, the connection is through radio waves.
- Cellular refers to how the control panel communicates to your security monitoring company.
Cellular alarm monitoring requires that you have a cellular communicator in your security system and the technology offers significant advantages over landline-based systems:
- Cellular communicators are more stable.
- They are not affected by brief power outages
- Cutting your phone line will NOT disable your alarm system
- They enable remote access/interactive monitoring – A great advantage of cellular communication is the option to monitor your home or business remotely. With an app you can add to your monitoring, you will be able to arm/disarm and manage security alerts, and the status of your secured property, even while you’re away.
I’m thinking of dropping my landline. How would that affect my security system?
- If you get rid of your landline, you will need a cellular communicator.
- If you decide to change your home phone service you will need to reconnect your security system, which may require a service visit and a service charge from Secur-Tek, Inc.
- Security system manufacturers do not recommend using VOIP (Voice over Internet Phone Service) phone carriers
If you have any questions concerning upgrading your system or cellular communicator, we urge you to please call our office at 919-387-1800 or contact us.
Thinking you’d like the added peace of mind that comes with having your system monitored, especially when you’re not there?
Find out more about our monitoring service here.
Secur-Tek, Inc. is locally owned and operated in Apex, NC, offering home and business security and monitoring. Secur-Tek also provides automation, audio, and central vacuum systems to customers in the Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Chapel Hill, Clayton, Garner, Holly Springs, Durham, Raleigh, Morrisville, and Pittsboro areas.