The holidays are just around the corner and it’s a wonderful time of year! It’s a time to see friends, family, or go on that nice relaxing vacation you’ve been looking forward to all year. But taking a few precautions can help keep you safe.
Five safety tips for when you are out and about:
- Light up outside. The strings of outdoor Christmas lights are cheery but if your home goes dark when you leave town, it signals that you’re not home. Put them on a timer and mount exterior lights on your home, out of reach. These should also be put on a timer or used as motion detectors.
- Make it seem like you are home. Put your usual indoor lights on timers and leave blinds in their usual positions so it appears you are home.
- Hide and lock your valuables. A burglar wants to get in and out fast! They know to check a desk and the bedroom for important documents and jewelry. Put your laptops, lock boxes, important papers, and expensive items in multiple well-hidden/unusual locations.
- If you are going to be away for more than a day, have your mail held or have a neighbor pick it up.
- Ask trustworthy neighbors to keep an eye on your home. Letting a few people know you are gone will help keep them on alert for something amiss.
According to multiple research studies, burglars avoid homes with alarm systems. Monitored alarms don’t just make noise, but alert emergency services so there is a quick response to the trouble. In addition, most insurance companies offer a discount on homeowner’s insurance if you have a security system, making them a smart investment in your family’s safety and property.
Five advantages of having a Secur-Tek Inc. smart home security system around the holidays:
Concerned about your online shopping being left on the doorstep while you are away? As well as being a target for porch pirates, a package indicates that no one is home when potential thieves check out the neighborhood. For peace of mind, a video doorbell or entryway camera can verify a delivery. A smart security system can unlock your front door or garage so a neighbor or authorized deliveryman can put the package inside.
Gas and smoke detectors can be connected to your security system and monitored 24 hours a day to maximize protection for your family, property, and pets while at home or away.
When you’re home, small problems like a leaky hot water heater can be quickly dealt with. Leave home for a few days and even a slow leak can cause serious flooding and expensive damage. With a monitored system and specialized detectors, you can know if something goes wrong at your property. With a smart system, you can even activate a water shutoff to minimize damage.
Ever wonder if your pet sitter or neighbor remembered to feed, walk and play with your pets? No worries: just give your pet caretaker a temporary security code so they can enter when needed. This dedicated code unlocks your door and can alert you when your sitter uses it. If you want to see how your buddy is doing, just add cameras to your security system. Secur-Tek’s technician will place cameras so you can check in on your pets and see for yourself!
Finally, as you travel around for the holidays, you can be assured your property is protected. With a cost-effective Secur-Tek customized security system that monitors 24/7, it will notify the security professionals at our monitoring center, who immediately alert your local police and fire department for you. This ensures a quick response to minimize any loss or damage if an unfortunate incident should happen.
Smart home security is the way to eliminate many of the worries that creep into our minds during the holidays. Remote access allows you to be notified, view and control activity in the interior or exterior of your home at any time.
Have a happy and safe holiday season from all of us at Secur-Tek, Inc!
Secur-Tek is locally owned and operated in Apex, NC, offering home and business security, monitoring, automation, audio, and central vacuum systems.
Our service area includes these North Carolina communities: Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Chapel Hill, Clayton, Garner, Holly Springs, Durham, Raleigh, Morrisville, Pittsboro and Wake Forest.